Saturday, September 5

Tiny Stitches

I am about to begin my first miniature cross stitch. I have no idea what I'm doing! I found this calculator online and will try using it to figure out how to re-size a chart I've made.

I stitched one letter and realized that I don't have the right count fabric. The smallest fabric I have is 22 count aida. If I complete my project, my finished design will be about 1" X 2" and that's too big.


If anyone has a tutorial or advice I would really appreciate your help! (Hint hint Rosanna!)

My eyes are crossed already and I haven't even begun!

Thanks, Kathi

6 comments:

Caseymini said...

Kathi, if you have access to a Michael's or Joanne's store they both carry #28 even weave linen. That would knock the size down some. You will probably have to find a needlework shop or someplace on line to get what you really nead. Having taught needlework for a long time, I would suggest that you finish it in the size you started with for practice and then go find the smaller fabric. As with anything, practice makes perfect. Good luck!

kathi said...

Thanks. I'm off to find some smaller fabric. I'm working on a little gift so I don't have time to finish something that's not the right size. :)
Should I use two strands of floss with the smaller fabric or one? I guess I'll just have to try and see what looks best? Might have to get a smaller needle too?

Caseymini said...

Yes. One strand and probably a 26 needle if you are going to use the linen. Good luck!

kathi said...

Okay! I got some 22 hardanger and a 26 needle today at Hobby Lobby! I started over but didn't cut my fabric large enough! I've done tons of cross stitch in larger sizes but this mini stuff is much harder! I bought a magnifing light too.
It's not enough magnification but I'll deal with it! I'll be starting over AGAIN tomorrow!

Jo Raines said...

I haven't done cross stitch in years but have tried mini needlepoint and alas, my eyesight has gotten so bad, I need larger fabric for that.

Jody
Mini Leaps and Bounds

Anna said...

Hi, perhaps you'll like little animal motives:

http://www.oz-verlag.de/fileadmin/files/Newsletter/oz_newsletter/september_0901/pdf/Handtuecher.pdf

I think they are little enough but I have no experience