Tuesday, April 3

Tongue Depressors


I'm using tongue depressors, from work, to try to build a little modular bookshelf. The tongue depressors are 6" long and 3/4" wide. Perfect.

I've cut all of the pieces according to these dimensions. I used Jim's Miniature Scale Calculator to figure out the right scale. Now it's time to glue them together!



I want to thank Brave Designs for sharing the plans for their modular shelves! I'm hoping to build a miniature shelf like this one found on their website.

You can find more ideas for bookshelves and furniture at Brave Designs. I like this one the best!

9 comments:

Lavecinita said...

¡¡¡Que buena idea,queda genial!!! un beso,Rosa.

Eliana said...

Wow, it's beautiful! Thanks for the measures, I am motivated to make a bookshelf for me. ;)
I appreciate the link.
Hugs

Fabiola said...

Good idea! It's an original piece.
Bye Faby

Troy said...

Looks like a fun project. I like the colors they used behind the shelves. I have not tried a 45 degree angle on thin wood like that before. Good luck!

Drora's minimundo said...

An interesting project. Have fun making the shelves.
Hugs

Cote said...

Seguro que te queda genial, ya nos la enseñarás!!
Besitos

otterine said...

Wow! Very cool design!

Jazzi said...

Looking good, thanks for sharing Kathi..hugz

Ana said...

Hi Kathi! First, thank you for your words.
I do not know what is "spackle." I say as I have done:
I used a paste that here in Spain is marketed under the name Aguaplast. It is a very fine cast. It is a powder that adding a few drops of water got a very fine paste.
I have spread the paste on the table, a thin layer. When it has dried a bit, with a broad brush tip soft touches I have to get a rough effect, and I've drawn with a cutter shapes of the stones. I have not followed a template, I've been making eye!
Once dry, I applied a gray stone color paint and then with a little darker and I have been painting black separations and edges to give volume.
I hope you understand my English after very bad lol!
Very good your work and your explanations
Big hugs
Ana